(Minsk, 8 Kirova Str.)
During the 2nd European Games the Dinamo Stadium will host the Opening and Closing ceremonies, as well as the athletics events.
The stadium is one of the main sports arenas of Belarus. Prior to the renovation it could sit 34,000 spectators. The official opening of the stadium took place on June 12, 1934, with the first renovation happening in 1939. It was destroyed during the Great Patriotic War and rebuilt between 1947 and 1954.
Several matches of the football tournaments were held at the stadium during the 1980 Olympics. The stadium underwent a substantial reconstruction during 1978-1980 in preparation to the event. The territory was expanded and surrounded by a fence bearing the emblems of the Moscow 1980 Games. A brand-new central tribune was built, as well as new light posts with powerful floodlights, a football scoreboard and an Olympic Flame cauldron.
During the second half of July 1980 seven matches of the Olympic football tournament took place at the stadium, including one quarterfinal match.
Up until 2009 the home matches of Dinamo-Minsk took place at the stadium.
During the 2008-2009, 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons it served as the home arena for the BATE football club in the group phase of the Champions League.
Another reconstruction began in 2012 and resulted in a renewed seating capacity (now 22,246 spectators). A canopy covers over 80% of the seats. It’s made from aluminum extrusion sheets with presentation sound systems, lighting and video surveillance systems installed. Below, the canopy is covered with a translucent diaphragm that covers steel trusses and engineering communications.
The original Olympic Cauldron from the 1980 Olympics will also be installed.
There will be several track track and field paths at the stadium (nine on the main arena and four on the training arena). The tracks installed will be made by Mondo, an Italian brand that is the official Olympic Games and World Track and Field Competitions equipment supplier. The coating is recommended by IAAF and leading national federations. It is made from polyisoprene rubber and is durable, UV- and weather-resistant and doesn’t require any special maintenance. The top layer of the coating has a special texture that ensures great resistance to spikes and abrasives and gives no glare during photo shooting and TV-filming.
The field will be covered by all-natural roll lawn from the Russian brand called Crona Sport. The external dimensions of the field are 105x68m.
The stadium has long jump, high jump, pole-vaulting and triple jump sectors, as well as sectors for weight putting, javelin, discus and hammer throwing and a steeplechase hole.
The main press-center with 200 workstations is located on the second level of the east stands. Next to the press-center there are photographic equipment storage spaces with 300 lockers, two facilities for large photo agencies and newspapers, camera and computer repair workshops and a press-bar for 40 people at the media’s disposal.
There are 137 parking spots in the underground garage and over 350 spots at parking lots in the vicinity.
Along the perimeter of the stands (north, east and south) 58 concessions are located.
The renewed stadium will open its doors to the public in June 2018. Due to the reconstruction the stadium will receive the 1st category in accordance with the IAAF-2008 Track and Field Facilities Manual criteria, which will enable the arena to host international competitions in athletics.