On the west side of the square there is the church in the style of Vilnius Baroque that is adorned with two towers – it is the former main building of the Jesuit College that is now the Cathedral of Saint Virgin Mary.
Its construction began in 1700. In 1710 the cathedral was already consecrated, and by 1749 the grounds of the Jesuit College had fully taken shape.
In the years that passed this architectural ensemble has seen a great deal – the re-design of the second half of the 19th century when the belfry was turned into a fire tower; the reconstruction of mid-20th century when the cathedral was rebuilt as a sports society and a dwelling house was constructed on the site of the former College. In 1993 the building was given back to the Roman Catholics. Now it holds religious services.
Go to the cathedral to see the frescoes that date back to the 18th century and hear the majestic organ which was given to the cathedral in 2005.
Nearest metro station: Oktyabrskaya/Kupalovskaya, Nemiga
Bus routes: 1, 69, 119с
Address: 9 Svobody Square
GPS: 53.903106, 27.554600
Schedule of services
Weekdays 7.15, 8.00 (PL), 18.30
Sunday 08.15, 10.00, 11.30 (PL), 13.00, 18.30 (20.00 in summer — until October)
Holidays 07.15, 8.00, 12.00 (PL), 18.30