From June 21 to June 30, 2019 the Republic of Belarus will become a host of the 2nd European games – international multi-sport competitions among athletes of the European continent, which are held every four years under the direction of the European Olympic Committees. Within the II European Games, competitions will be held in 15 sports, 10 of which will become qualifying to the Olympic Games 2020 in Tokyo. The provision was approved in a result of the EOC Coordination Commission inspection visit to Minsk led by Spyros Kapralos, the President of the National Olympic Committee of Greece in the period from May 11 to May 13, 2017.
The first European Games were held from June 12 to June 28, 2015 in the capital of Azerbaijan – Baku. Belarusian athletes won 43 medals there – 10 gold, 11 silver and 22 bronze. In a result, Belarus took the 7th place at the unofficial medal table.
During determination of the host country of the II European Games, several European states had expressed their willing to hold the event. In this regard, the EOQ set up a working group to coordinate the process for selecting the venue for the II European Games. Initially, the desire to host the Games showed such states as: The Netherlands, Russia, Turkey, Poland and some others. At the meeting of the General Assembly of the EOC, which was held on October 21, 2016 Minsk was elected as the final venue for the 2nd European games.
Within the Games, 4,000 athletes are expected to arrive to the Belarusian capital, about 2,000 trainers and attendants representing official delegations from 50 European national Olympic committees. Competitions will be judged by about 650 international and 410 national judges on sports. There are more than 1000 foreign media representatives are expected in Minsk and 100 presidents, general secretaries of European federations on sports and ministers of sports of European countries, more than 250 representatives and workers of the EOC headquarter, presidents and secretaries-general of European NOCs, as well as presidents, prime ministers and senior officials of the European states. Approximately 6,000 volunteers will be involved in the event. The 2nd European Games will be held at the largest sports facilities in Minsk, such as stadium “Dinamo”, “Minsk-Arena”, “Chizhovka -arena” and others.
The organization and holding of the Games in Minsk will be a landmark event in the sporting life of Europe. It will strengthen the authority and confirm the reputation of the Republic of Belarus as a socially-oriented state which is give priority to the promotion of the Olympic values, healthy lifestyles, development of physical culture and sports. In addition, the tourist industry, hotel and transport infrastructure of the Belarusian capital will be fully involved in resolving the issues of a welcoming meeting and the comfortable stay of foreign fans and participants of the Games. In this context, an integrated transport service plan is developing, which also will be accounting the city’s daily needs.
Types of sport:
In the program of competitions within 10 days from June 21 to June 30, 2019, 198 sets of medals will be played in 23 disciplines of 15 sports:
1. Badminton (5 types of the program);
2. Basketball 3х3 (2 types of the program);
3. Boxing (15 types of the program);
4. Wrestling (18 types of the program), including: Greco-Roman (6 types of program), freestyle (6 types of programs), female (6 types of program);
5. Cycling (22 types of program), including track (18 types of program) and road (4 types of program);
6. Gymnastics (33 types of programs), including: gymnastics acrobatic (6 types of programs), sports gymnastics (12 types program), rhythmic gymnastics (9 types of programs), gymnastics trampoline (4 types of programs), gymnastics aerobic (2 types of the program);
7. Canoeing and Kayaking (15 types of the program);
8. Judo (16 types of the program);
9. Karate (12 types of the program);
10. Athletics (11 types of program);
11. Sambo (18 types of the program);
12. Archery (5 types of the program);
13. Shooting (20 types of the program), including: bullet (13 types of programs) and stand (7 types of programs);
14. Table Tennis (5 types of the program);
15. Beach Soccer (1 type of program).